Clic to Watch DesiMagic Teaser


Monday, August 29, 2011

Princess diary

She has three films lined up. And though her “petite shoulders are taking a lot of responsibility” Ameesha Patel is “loving every minute”. “I still think that I am the princess in a fairytale. I could not have asked for a better life,” said the actress, looking fetching in a floral-printed maxi dress from Milan. t2 chatted with Ameesha at the launch of Somi’s Glowz Spa in New Alipore.

What does being fit mean to you?

It is about being healthy from within… putting the correct food into your system. I don’t believe in crash diets. I am not a size zero person. I believe that a woman should have curves. But you need to eat healthy for that and have a balanced exercise-cum-diet regime. Drink a lot of water. It is very healthy to have a clean mind… clean thoughts.

What’s your workout like?

Well, I do try and work out three-four times a week. Except when I am working, it gets harder. I am not someone who gyms for three hours. It is 45 minutes to an hour… sensible workout. There are people who are obsessive about going to the gym. But they are actually doing the wrong kind of weights or cardio. You need to read the signals your body gives you... understand what your body requires. That will give you the best results.

Is slipping into a bikini, like you did in Lazy lamhe, challenging?

It is challenging. You are up by 5am, you do your hair and make-up and you are shooting from sunrise to sunset. Without eating or drinking water, liquids or juices, you cannot perform. I don’t want to face the camera looking thin but frail, tired and uninterested. So, I don’t starve.

If I had not drunk water for 14 days while shooting for Lazy lamhe, I’d be like Anna Hazare! It was a very difficult song to shoot. It was freezing cold in the pool. And hot when you came out. I was shivering. I actually had a 102-degree fever. Under those circumstances you cannot starve and you should not.

Have you ever followed a fancy diet?

Only once when someone told me to go on a watermelon juice diet. At the end of two days I had diarrhea. So, I don’t recommend these things to anybody (laughs).

So, what diet do you follow?

I eat healthy every two hours. In the morning, a wholesome breakfast; for lunch, dal, roti, sabzi, salads… an evening snack… fruits and then no carbs at night. Fill your plate with vegetables and soups, chicken, fish. But I also have my binge days when I eat chocolates.

When do you feel the fittest?

I feel great after a workout. Right now, I’m not feeling fit (smiles).

Your skin secrets…

Well, my grandmother was very beautiful… she passed away last year at 92 without a wrinkle on her face. She was stunning, radiant… a porcelain beauty. So, I guess 1/100th of her genes have passed on to me! I drink a lot of water. I take care of my skin by using good products, not tampering with it a lot, getting regular facials and clean-ups.

I never sleep with make-up on and even for my shoots, my make-up is minimal. I hate the cakey look. I feel like a different person with make-up on. Even now, I am dying to go back to my room and cleanse it off (laughs). I am someone who likes buying make-up but hates using it!

So, you love shopping for make-up the most?

I love shopping for bags and accessories the most. More than clothes. I pick them up when I am traveling. There are also these designer stores in Bombay who send me the newest arrivals at home because they know that they have a good customer whether it is (Louis) Vuitton, Jimmy Choo or Dior… I have them all on my BlackBerry!

So you’re a shopaholic!

Yes! Well, let’s say I do justice to the economy. Let’s say I elevate recession… in any part of the world (laughs)!

A beauty tip your grandmother taught you?

Mix besan, haldi, some dahi and milk and put it on your face. It cleanses your skin and gives you that glow. When I was in school and college and used to get that odd zit… I used to put sandalwood… from the mandir. They would be for the gods, but I would put it (laughs out loud). It would dry up the pimple.

How do you look after your hair?

Working in the sun, the light, blow-drying, rollers, straightening has not left my hair in its original state… but I do regular oil massages and use beaten egg once a month.

Finally, what films do we see you in?

Ameesha Patel Productions has signed on a comedy by David Dhawan and a romantic thriller-cum-drama by Priyadarshan. Both are 30-35 crore films.

I am also starting Race 2 with John (Abraham), Saif (Ali Khan), Deepika (Padukone), Anil Kapoor and Sonakshi (Sinha) next month. My role is steamy, saucy, smart and challenging… Race 2 is even bigger than Race. It has got more twists and turns… like a crazy game of chess, you don’t know who is going to make the next move.
- The Telegraph