Clic to Watch DesiMagic Teaser


Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bollywood is still male dominated: Ameesha

How has your journey been in Bollywood?
There have been ups and downs — I’ve been sad sometimes, and on a high at other times. But it has been fabulously exciting and it feels great to be a part of this industry. I have had great films like Kaho Naa Pyar Hai, Gadar, Humraaz, Mangal Pandey, Bhool Bhulaiya, Honeymoon Travels. Like with anything in life, you sometimes wonder, ‘What if you had done something else?’ But this was my destiny. I was meant to be here and I am looking forward to seeing what more is in store for me.

Are you happy with the way women are projected on screen today?
No no. Bollywood is still male-dominated. It gets more technically sound and the women’s clothes and the styles change; but there are still no tailor-made roles for women. It’s just old wine in a new bottle.

As a woman, did you find it difficult to make a mark in the industry?
I never tried to come in the industry on purpose. I did not do a screen test, I did not have a portfolio. I was offered Kaho Na Pyar Hai because I was spotted at a wedding and Rakesh Roshan knew my father. But it is very hard for a woman, for sure, even after you are successful.

Do you feel your brother, Ashmit Patel, has got it easy while it is tough for you?
No, no I don’t think so.

Of the roles you have done so far, which one do you relate to the most as a woman?
All the roles that I have done have been quite powerful. Kaho Na … was a central role, Gadar was a very, very special film and so was Bhool Bhulaiya. Honeymoon Travels showed a funny, cute side to me that the audiences hadn’t seen before and Thoda Pyaar ... was absolutely different from what I had ever done. I think all of them have a little bit of me.

Does dressing up make you feel more feminine?
No, I think being feminine is a state of mind. I don’t think it is about wearing nice clothes. As today’s girls, we all wear jeans, and shorts, we almost dress like boys but we can still be feminine. Feminism is a state of mind.

Do you cry often?
Yes, I cry at the drop of my hat. I think crying is very therapeutic. I don’t understand why some people bottle up their feelings and don’t let them out. I always vent easily. I just need to open the cork and let the fizz out like a bottle of champagne. Then I am fine.

In Bolly-wood, is it possible for two women to be friends?
Yes, absolutely possible. A woman understands another woman like nobody else. I have got women friends who are inseparable, constantly on phone with each other from the time we wake up. We can sense each other’s feelings from the tone of the voice.

What would you like to be reborn as?
As myself. I am happy to be myself. And the mistakes I made, I will correct them in my next life.
- Deccan Chronicle